Soft wholemeal bread is tasty and texture is great. You will love to have everyday. Kids will love this. Adding honey gives a sweet taste and fragrance to it. Adding milk gives a different taste and a texture with calcium .
I’m giving you step by step for this to follow.(See the my Wholemeal bread recipe please)
250g white plain flour
250g plain wholemeal flour
2tsp bread improve
1 1/2 tsp table salt
150 ml warm milk (temperature37c-40c)
150ml warm water (temperature37-40)
1tb dried yeast
1. In a small bowl, combine water, honey and yeast. Leave it in a warm place for 10- 15 minutes. In a cold day, keep it 15- 20 minutes or until the bubbles show up, like froth. See the picture in Wholemeal bread recipe.
2. In another large bowl, place flour, salt and bread improve. Mix this dry ingredients using an eggbeater (balloon) combine well. Make a well in the centre of the dry mixture. Pour yeast mixture, milk and 50ml oil into it. Using your hand combine all together. Please do not add any extra flour.
3. Turn dough out onto your flourless clean bench top. See the picture in Wholemeal bread recipe. Add remaining oil into dough. Knead dough using your both hands for 15- 20 minutes. When it ready, you can feel it smooth and silkiness with your hands. See the picture in Wholemeal bread recipe.
4. Line down the baking paper, all the surfaces covering the inside bread tin. See the picture in Wholemeal bread recipe.
5. Roll and shape dough to fit into tin. Very loosely cover with the clean wrap and leave in a warm place to rise for 1- 1 ½ hours. See the picture in Wholemeal bread recipe.
(Place an oven proof dish of water into the bottom of the oven and than heat the oven)
6. Preheat oven (350F) 190c (fan force 180c) and bake for 30 -35 minutes. Or till bread sounds hollow when you tap the top with your fingers. Remove bread from tin. Cool on wire rack.
Tips and hints;
Placing a dish of water into oven will help to give bread to good texture in and out side crispy crust.
When is cold whether like winter; heat your oven 40c and then turn off the oven put your bread dough in it, to rise. I always do this in my kitchen.
You can adjust the flour amount for example 300g plain wholemeal and 200g white bread flour.
Dairy free; replace milk with water.
Honey; replace with 1tb brown sugar.
Like to add some nuts or seeds into this recipe, do not add them more than 100g.
Before you add any nuts or seeds, please I want you to try my recipe just plain. Without any nuts or seeds.
You can keep this bread 3-4 days in your pantry. Any leftover slice and put in a plastic bag or zip lock bag and put in the freezer.