It is fun to make these hot cross buns. We love this recipe and our neighbors ask me to bake again these chocolate hot cross buns. The surprise is the putting off chocolate chips into the middle of the buns. This Easter if you and your family like chocolate, then go with this recipe.
570g plain flour
30g cocoa powder (I used nestle brand)
1tsp ground salt (I used Himalayan salt)
70g sugar white or your choice (I used raw sugar)
70 ml cooking oil (I used grape seed oil)
1 Free range or organic egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
1tbs level plus 2 tsp level dried yeast
300 ml milk (I used full cream milk)
125 g mini milk chocolate chips or your choice of chocolate
1. Place milk into TM bowl. Heat 2 minutes / speed 1 / 37°c Cover with MC.
2. Add yeast, oil, egg, and vanilla, beat for 5 seconds / speed 5.
3. Add flour, cocoa powder and salt, mix for 5 seconds / speed 5.
4. Knead 3 minutes / cover position / interval setting.
5. Place dough in oil coated bowl, cover with cling wrap and leave in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Dough should approximately double in size.
6. Punch down dough. Transfer to kitchen bench top. Then roll the dough for sausage shape (See the picture below).
7. Cut the dough roll into equal pieces (See the picture below). I divided into 15 pieces.
8. Keep the roll between your palms to a ball shape. Then push down ball to flat round shape with your palm. Place some mini chocolate chips centre of the flat surface and tucking edges beneath, shape into ball.
10. Place ball into greased baking tray or muffin tray (I used 23 cm x 33 cm rectangle tray). Very loosely cover with the cling wrap and leave in a warm place to rise for 30 to 45 minutes (See the picture below).
Heat the oven 180°c ( fan forced oven 170°c).
For flour paste for cross
¼ cup plain flour
¼ cup milk
¼ tsp ground salt
Mix all above ingredients together to make a smooth paste. Pipe crosses over risen dough.
Bake buns for 25 minutes in a preheated 180°c (fan forced 170°c).
For sugar glaze
1tbs raw sugar or your choice of sugar
Combine water and sugar into small microwave suitable container and microwave (100% high) for 30 – 40 seconds. Brush hot buns with hot glaze. Cool on wire rack.
Tips & Hints:
Do not over fill bun with chocolate chips.
You can substitute jam, peanut butter, nuts, fresh berries or dried fruits etc for chocolate chips.
Serve hot cross buns warm. When it is at room temperature, heat buns in a microwave10 to 20 seconds.
above pictures are;
1. roll the dough for sausage shape.
2. Cut the dough roll into equal pieces.
3. risen dough (buns)
4. finished products.