Smoked trout is a great combination for salads, sandwiches, pate and soups.
For this recipe I used very basic method and ingredients. Instead of trout any other type of fish e.g. salmon or game-meat, poultry or vegetable may be used. The amount of ingredients and cooking times can be varied.
This is very good for those who have high blood sugar, high blood pressure or cholesterol problems.
Preparation and cooking times 30 mins.
2 rainbow trout , each about 500 g to 600 g, washed and pad dry
salt and white or black pepper to season
1 tbs grape seed oil or good quality oil
80 g any type of rice
80 g brown sugar
40 g green tea leaves or your choice of tea
1. Season the fish with salt and pepper, set aside.
2. In a bowl mix tea, rice and sugar. Set aside.
3. Line a heavy roasting tin or iron pan with aluminium foil. Spread the tea mixture over the lined foil. Cover with another layer of foil, lift the edges of each of the four corners of the foil so smoke can come out.
4. Heat the prepared pan or tin on medium heat. When the smoke comes out brush the foil with oil and place the trout on top the oiled foil. Cover the pan or tin tightly with lid or foil and smoke on the stove top at medium heat for 15 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat and leave another 5 minutes to enhance the flavour. Cooking times can be long or short according to the size of the fish.