This year I planted three eggplants.They are growing beautifully. My first organic eggplant I plucked from my garden. This recipe is gluten, preservative, additive free.
Preparation + cooking times; 1 hour + 20 minutes.
700 g eggplants, 0.5 cm thick slices
400 g tomatoes, roughly chopped
100 g – 125 g onion, finely chopped
1 to 2 (10 g) garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 tbs (6 g ) basil leaves, roughly chopped or torn
1 tsp oregano, chopped
2 tbs olive oil
Freshly ground black pepper and salt to taste.
200 g mozzarella cheese, grated
100 g – 150 g parmesan cheese, grated
75 g almond meal
1 tbs chopped fresh mixed herbs (basil, parsley, oregano)
1. Heat the oil in a saucepan on a medium heat. Add onion, garlic and sauté for 3 minutes, until onion is cooked. Add chopped tomato and herbs and stir well, cover and simmer over low heat 10 to 15 minutes. Season with pepper and salt. ( don’t forget cheese has a quite salty).
2. Meanwhile heat the griddle pan or barbecue on a medium to high heat. Sprinkle or brush with little olive oil or choice of your oil. Place the sliced eggplant, cook until both sides are lightly charred. (see the hints & tips). Cook eggplant in batches, adding extra oil to pan when necessary. Set aside.
3. Preheat the oven 180°c (fan forced 170°c).
4. Toss almond meal and mixed herbs until well combined, set aside.
5. Spoon 6 tbs of tomato sauce over base of 5.5 cm deep, 26 cm x 18 cm capacity, an ovenproof baking dish. Then arrange layers of eggplant, tomato sauce, then the cheese. Continue layers until you have to used all the eggplant. Finish with tomato sauce then the cheese.
6. Sprinkle tossed almond meal over the cheese.
7. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, until the top is a golden colour. Allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before serving.
Eggplant may be substituted by zucchini or pumpkin.
Almond meal may be substituted by G/F fresh bread crumbs.