Whether you like them stuffed with any flavours, chocolate chips, dried fruits, fresh berries, jam (jelly), peanut butter, Nutella or any nuts or seeds of your choice. You can skip the seeds from this recipe.
Preparation time + cooking times 50 mins, + risen times.
Makes 15 buns.
300 ml fresh full cream milk or your choice of milk or water
70 g raw sugar or your choice of sweetness
5 tsp level dried yeast
525 g wholemeal flour
30 g cocoa powder
30 g mixed sunflower and pumpkin seeds
20 g mixed linseed (flaxseed) and chia seed
1 level tsp ground pink Himalayan salt or your choice of salt
60 ml grape seed oil or your choice of oil
1 large organic or free range egg
2 tsp vanilla extract
150 g mini chocolate chips (milk, white or dark)
1/4 cup white or wholemeal flour
1/4 cup (60 ml) water or milk
1.5 tbs level raw sugar
1.5 tbs hot water
Preheat the oven 180°c ( Fan-forced oven 170°c).
Brush the 23 cm x 33 cm baking tray or muffin tray with cooking oil. Set aside.
1. In a small bowl or jug warm the milk in a microwave 30 to 40 seconds, combine warm milk, sugar and yeast. Set aside for 10 to 15 minutes until bubbly. See the below picture.
2. In a large bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, seeds and salt.
3. Add oil, egg, vanilla and yeast mixture to the flour mixture. Using an electric mixer fitted with dough hooks, beat on medium for 5 to 6 minutes.
*Or using hand method; knead the dough for 10 minutes pushing down with both hands.
4. Place dough in oil coated bowl, cover with the cling wrap and leave in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Dough should approximately double in size.
Punch down dough. Transfer to kitchen work bench top or pastry mat. Then roll the dough into a sausage shape.
5.Cut the dough roll into equal pieces (See the picture below). I divided into 15 pieces.
6. Keep the roll between your palms to a ball shape. Then push down ball to flat round shape with your palm. Place some mini chocolate chips centre of the flat surface and tucking edges beneath, shape into ball.
7. Place balls into oiled baking tray or muffin tray. Very loosely cover with the cling wrap and leave in a warm place to rise for 30 to 45 minutes.
For cross mixture;
8. Combine flour and milk to form a smooth paste. Pipe crosses over risen dough.
9. Bake buns for 25 minutes in a preheated 180°c (fan forced 170°c).
For sugar gaze;
10. Combine with sugar and hot water in a small jug or bowl. Brush hot buns with hot glaze. Cool on wire rack.
Hints & Tips:
This buns are great to have when warm. So at room temperature buns need to be heated in microwave for 10 to 20 seconds before serving.
For sugar glaze substitute with warm fruit jam (jelly).
Wholemeal flour may be substituted by 550 g white bread (hard flour) flour.