Sometimes better to cook in a slow cooker. Add all ingredients, cover and set the times and switch on.
This comforting soup is perfect for an any day of the year. And just as delicious made with beef or pork. This recipe is additive, preservative colour and gluten free. Suitable for sugar free (diabetic) diet.
Preparation + cooking times; 3 1/2 hours.
Servers 6 – 8.
650 g bite-sized lamb cubes
400 g fresh tomatoes, chopped
250 g carrots, chopped into bite size
200 g onions, peeled, finely chopped
200 g green (french) beans, trimmed and cut into batons
200 g celery stalk, chopped into bite size
2 – 3 garlic cloves chopped
200 g spinach (optional) or choice of green leaves
250 g red lentils (dhal) washed
1 Lt home made chicken or meat stock (if not available use preservative, additive and colour free stock )
2 tbs olive oil or your choice of cooking oil
1 level tbs smoked or sweet paprika
2 level tsp ground coriander
1 level tsp ground turmeric
1/2 level tsp ground cumin
salt and freshly crushed pepper to taste
1. Rinse red lentils 3-4 times, rub and squeeze them with your fingers. Drain in a strainer and set aside until needed.
2. Heat the 1 tablespoon of oil in a large frypan and cook the lamb until golden brown. Spoon browned lamb into slow cooker.
3. Heat the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil in the same frypan. Add all chopped vegetables to the frypan and cook for 3 – 4 minutes. Spoon vegetable into slow cooker.
4. Add the red lentil, stock, paprika, coriander, turmeric and cumin. Cover and set the slow cooker to high, cook for 3 hours.
5. If using spinach add the spinach 5 minutes before the remaining 5 minutes or add the spinach after 3 hours and cook for more another 5 minutes.
6. Season with salt and pepper.