I made these for our breakfast, but it can be served for lunch with some salad. Great for lunch boxes or for snacks. Serve these warm or cold.
This recipe low carb and gluten free, friendly to diabetes.
Instead of silver beet leaves, spinach, kale, asian greens like choy sum, gai lan, pak choy, amaranth can be used.
Preparations + cooking time; 40 mins.
200 g fresh silver beet leaves, chopped or frozen (if frozen to be thawed)
50 g red onion or choice of onion, finely chopped
2 tsp grape seeds oil or choice of cooking oil
1/2 level tsp turmeric powder
1/4 level tsp ground pink Himalayan salt or choice of salt
1/4 level tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 level tsp ground nutmeg
2 fresh free range eggs or choice of eggs
1 tbs water
1 tsp organic apple cider vinegar
3 level tbs ricotta cheese
100 g sliced tomatoes (optional)
choice of nuts or seeds (optional)
1. Heat the fan forced oven 170°c.
2. Line base of muffin tray with 4 paper muffin cups. Set aside.
3. Heat the oil in a nonstick frypan on medium heat. Add onion and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Add chopped leaves, turmeric, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the stove and set aside.
4. In a bowl beat eggs, water and vinegar then add the ricotta cheese and mix until combined.
5. Add cooked silver beet to the egg mixture and mix until well combined.
6. Spoon the mixture into prepared muffin pan until almost full. Arrange the sliced tomato over the mixture and sprinkle the seeds or nuts.
7. Bake in preheated fan forced oven 170°c for 30 minutes.
Serve warm or cold.