Instead of eggplant, root (except beetroot) vegetables, okra, green beans, cauliflower can be substituted. Increase or decrease the heat of chilli powder for you to suit or instead of chilli powder please use paprika.
This dish goes well with steamed rice, naan bread, roti, cuscus and quinoa.
Sometimes I like to cook in slow cooker. I have two slower cookers, one is the ordinary one and other one is “SecretChef Sear and slow cooker”. (One of the best slow cooker I have). So I am giving both methods for the this recipe.
Preparations + cooking time: 4 hours + 30 mins.
650-750 g trimmed lamb shoulder or leg cut into 4.5 cm chunks
500 g eggplant, cut into 2 cm cube or thick sliced
400 g fresh tomatoes, cut into chunks or wedges
200 g red lentil (dhal)
200 g onion, finely chopped
3 – 4 (25g) garlic cloves, chopped
2 cm size (15 g) piece of ginger thinly sliced (optional)
1 (5 g) cinnamon stick (bark)
2 stem curry leaves or 1 bay leaf, torn
2 green chillies sliced (optional)
1to1 1/2 level tbs mild chilli powder or Kashmir chilli powder
2 level tsp pink Himalayan salt or choice of salt
1 level tsp ground coriander
1/2 level tsp crushed black pepper
1/2 level tsp ground cumin
1/2 level tsp ground fennel
5-6 cardamon pods seeds, crushed
3 cloves, crushed
1 tbs organic apple cider vinegar or choice of vinegar
2 tbsp coconut oil or choice of oil
350 ml water
150 ml coconut milk
1.Marinade the lamb with salt, pepper, cinnamon and ginger, set aside.
2. Rinse red lentils 3-4 times, rub and squeeze them with your fingers. Drain in a strainer and set aside.
Method for on stove.
1.Heat the oil in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat.
2. Add onion, garlic, curry leaves and fresh chillies, cook stirring for 3 minutes or until softened.
3. Add chilli powder, coriander, cumin, fennel and turmeric fry stirring for 2 minutes until colour changes and aroma comes from the spices.
4.Add lamb, fry stirring for 4 to 5 minutes until all spices are well coated and sealed, transfer to a 5.5 litre slow cooker.
5. Add other all ingredients and mix well covered, on high for 4 hours. Stir the meat and vegetables twice to cook through. Season to taste and discard the cinnamon stick and bay leaf (if using).
Method for sear and slow cooker
1. *Using the browning mode, heat oil to SEAR. when preheated and ready appear in the LCD screen, press START.
2. Add onion, garlic, curry leaves and fresh chillies, cook stirring for 2 minutes.
3.Add chilli powder, coriander, cumin, fennel and turmeric fry stirring for 2 minutes until colour changes and aroma comes.
4.Add lamb, fry stirring for 4 to 5 minutes until all spices are well coated and sealed
5.Add other ingredients and mix well covered, on high for 4 hours.
6.Stir the meat and vegetables twice to cook through.
Season to taste and discard the cinnamon stick and bay leaf (if using).