This dish I made for my friend, who is not a fan for silver beet. Surprisingly she enjoyed the Quiche. This recipe is nuts and gluten free but can be changed to suit you. E.g.; instead of rice flour use almond meal, plain flour or wholemeal flour, tapioca flour or chickpea flour.
Instead of silver beet leaves, spinach, kale, asian greens like choy sum, gai lan, pak choy, amaranth can be used.
Preparation + cooking times; 1 hour.
300 g fresh (without stems) silver beet leaves, washed, roughly chopped
150 g onion (I used red onion) finely chopped
6 medium to large free range eggs or choice of eggs
300 ml milk
70 g rice flour or choice of flour
50 g parmesan cheese, grated
50 g cheddar cheese, grated
50 g feta cheese,(optional) crumbled
1/2 level tsp turmeric powder
1/2 level tsp ground pink Himalayan salt or choice of salt
1/4 full tsp ground nutmeg
1 tbsp coconut oil or choice of oil
1. Preheat oven 200°c ( fan-forced oven 180°c).
Greased a 5 cm deep, 22 cm base ( 1.4 liter capacity) ovenproof glass or ceramic pie dish
2. Heat oil in a nonstick frying pan medium to high heat. Add onion sauté for medium to low heat 2 to 3 minutes.
3. Add the chopped silver beet leaves, cook for 2 minutes, remove pan from the stove add the flour, salt, turmeric and nutmeg. Stir until well combined. Set aside.
4. Lightly beat egg then add milk and beat again until well combined. Add sauté silver beet and cheeses except feta cheese. Mix until well combined.
5. Pour mixture into a prepared pie dish.
6. Sprinkle the crumbled feta cheese over silver beet mixture.
7. Bake in preheated oven 35 to 40 minutes, until risen, golden brown and centre is set. Cut into wedges, serve warm with salads or boiled, steamed or grilled vegetables.