(Must make this recipe day ahead)
This incredibly flavoursome brownie cake is made with wholemeal flour, coconut with chocolate. I am sure you will be making this recipe again and again because every body wants more.
*Please do not over bake the cake.
Preparation times 15 + baking times 25 mins
Serves 12 – 15.
200 g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
300 ml coconut milk
225 ml coconut oil or choice of cooking oil
200 g raw brown sugar
4 medium to large free range eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract
1 (15 ml) tbs organic apple cider vinegar
250 g plain wholemeal flour
100 g desiccated coconut
2 level tsp baking powder
1/2 level tsp baking soda
200 g dark chocolate chips, divided into two
1. Preheat oven to 180°c ( fan forced oven 160°c).
2. Grease a 4 cm deep, 20 cm X 30 cm x cm 5 baking pan. Line with baking paper. See hints & tips and picture below.
3. In a bowl mix the flour, desiccated coconut, baking powder and baking soda together, set aside.
4. In a small saucepan gently simmer coconut milk and chocolate at low heat until chocolate is melted and well combined.
5. Meanwhile in a large bowl use egg beater or fork, beat sugar and eggs until just combined ( do not over beat the eggs).
6. Add the vanilla extract, organic apple cider vinegar, oil and melted chocolate mixture and beat for until just combined.
7. Add the flour mixture and half of the divided chocolate chips and fold do not over mix.
8. Pour the batter into prepared cake pan and sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the batter.
9. Bake in preheated oven for 22 to 25 minutes.
10. Cool cake in a pan 10 minutes then cover tightly with aluminium foil.
I use this method for all my brownies and chocolate cakes and it gives more moisture to cake. Cover tightly and keep room temperature until needed.
Hints & Tips;
Line with baking paper.
Do not use strong flavour cooking oil like extra virgin olive oil.
Leftover cake must be kept in airtight container at room temperature for up to 3 days or frozen.