Succulent lamb shanks will bring much satisfaction to the table. This recipe goes well with mash, puree or pasta.
I have two slower cookers. One is the ordinary one and the other one is called “SecretChef Sear and slow cooker” (one of the best slow cooker I have ever used) so I am giving both methods for the this recipe.
Adding port wine with the red wine brings sweetness to the sauce of the dish.
Preparation & cooking times; 6 1/2 hours.
If preferred do not strain cooking liquid and keep the vegetables, remove the cooked herbs then reduce sauce by half or until thickened to your liking) see below picture.
4-5 x ( 400 g-450 g)1.4kg-1.8kg lamb shanks, bone in
1 level tsp ground pink Himalayan salt or choice of salt
1/2 level tsp freshly ground black pepper
2 (30 ml) tbs + 1 (15 ml) good quality cooking oil
250 g onions, peeled, roughly chopped
20 g cloves garlic, peeled, roughly chopped
200 g carrots, washed, roughly chopped
150 g celery stalks, washed, roughly chopped
4 (60 ml) level tbs tomato paste
2 (30 ml) level tbs plain or corn flour
200 ml red wine
150 ml port wine
*or if not port in the pantry, use the 350 ml red wine
750 ml home made lamb or chicken stock
2 fresh or dried bay leaves
25 g herbs; such as fresh sprig rosemary, thyme, sage, parsley, oregano, tarragon or lavender or 10 g dried mix Italian herbs
1. Season the lamb shank with salt and pepper. Set aside.
2. Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium to high heat. When oil is at smoking point add the lamb shanks and fry turning regularly, until browned all over.
3. Remove browned shanks from the pan and arrange shanks into slow cooker.
4. In the same pan heat the remaining 15 ml oil, medium to high heat and add onion, garlic, carrots and celery and fry until softened and an aroma comes.
5. Add the tomato paste fry for 1 minute stirring all the time.
6. Add flour and fry for 2 minutes stirring all the time.
7. Add the red wine and if using a port wine, stir until well combined. Bring to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes.
8. Pour cooked vegetables into slow cooker over the browned shanks.
9. Pour stock, add all herbs then cover with the lid and cook on high heat 2 hours. Turn to low heat and cook for 4 hours or until the meat is tender and cook to your liking.
10. When the shanks are cooked, remove from the cooking liquid and place them onto pot or baking tray, cover with foil and keep it warm.
11. Using a fine sieve, strain the cooking liquid into clean pan and bring to the boil. Simmer until the volume of gravy has reduced by half ( syrupy consistency) Serve over the lamb shank.
12. If preferred do not strain cooking liquid and keep the vegetables, remove the cooked herbs then reduce sauce by half or until thickened to you’re liking (see above second picture)
Method for SecretChef Sear and slow cooker
1. Use the browning mode, heat oil to SEAR. When preheated and ready appear in the LCD screen, press START.
2. When oil is come to smoking point add the seasoned lamb shanks and fry turning regularly, until browned all over. Remove browned shanks from the cooker and set aside.
3. Add the remaining 15 ml oil into cooker and add the onion, garlic, carrots and celery, fry until vegetables soft and an aroma comes.
4. Add the tomato paste fry for 1 minute stirring all the time. Add flour and fry for 1 to 2 minutes stirring all the time.
5. Add the red wine and if using a port wine, stir until well combined. Cook for 3 minutes.
6. Place the browned lamb shanks then the stock and herbs. Cover and select the cooking mode high heat, cook for 2 hours then turn to slow heat and cook for 4 hours or until the meat is tender and cooked to your liking .