I created this savoury version of deliciously different flavours of Hot-Cross buns to match with our family taste. Try these savoury hot cross buns for breakfast or brunch.
Ingredients I used for filling can be any of the following leftover onion jam, relish, vegetable, seafoods or meat curries.When using the fillings, remember not to use gravy, it as buns will become soggy and flat. You can make these buns are with or without fillings.
Preparations + cooking times 2.30 hours.
600 g bread flour (hard flour) or plain flour
15 g chia seeds (optional)
15 g dried yeast
1 level tsp ground sea salt or your choice of salt
15 g organic honey or your choice fo sweetness
75 g olive oil or butter or your choice of cooking oil
15 g organic apple cider vinegar
2 level tsp turmeric powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
For flour paste for cross
¼ cup plain flour
¼ cup milk
*Mix all above ingredients together to make a smooth paste. Pipe crosses over risen dough.
1. Place milk into TM bowl. Heat 2 minutes / speed soft / 37°c Cover with MC.
2. Add yeast, oil or butter beat for 5 seconds / speed 5.
3. Add flour and all above ingredients mix for 5 seconds / speed 5.
4. Knead 3 minutes / cover position / interval setting.
5. Place dough in oil coated bowl, cover with cling wrap and leave in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Dough should approximately double in size.
6. Punch down dough. Transfer to kitchen working bench top. Then roll the dough for sausage shape and cut the dough roll into equal pieces I divided into 15 pieces (balls).
7. Keep the dough ball between your palms to a ball shape. Then push down ball to flat round shape with your palm (or use the flat surface, see above picture). Place some your choice of savoury filling in centre of the flat surface and tucking edges beneath, shape into ball.
8. Place ball into greased baking tray or muffin tray (I used 23 cm x 33 cm rectangle tray). Very loosely cover with the cling wrap and leave in a warm place to rise for 30 to 45 minutes.
*Meanwhile Heat the oven 180°c ( fan forced oven 170°c)
9. Pipe crosses with flour paste over risen dough and Bake buns for 25 minutes in a preheated 180°c (fan forced 170°c).
Serves warm or at room temperature. If it cold then heat buns in a microwave10 to 20 seconds.