Potluck means “whatever food is available for eating when arriving somewhere unannounced” and so to take potluck. This bun has a flavour similar to hot cross buns. Sweet, buttery flavour but you can reduce the amount of sugar to your liking. These buns can serve for any occasion. They go with soup, salads and can be had with spread; peanut butter, jam or your choice.
450 g plain flour
30g dried milk powder
1tsp level ground pink Himalayan salt or your choice of salt
60g castor sugar
1 large fresh free-range or organic egg
56g (¼ cup) unsalted butter
1 level tbs plus 1tsp level dried yeast
1. Preheat the oven 190°c (fan forced oven 180°c).
Grease the 20 cm x 20 cm square baking try. Set aside.
2. Place butter and water into TM bowl. Heat for 37°c / 2 minutes / speed 1.
3. Add other ingredients and mix for 6 seconds / speed 6.
4. Knead for 5 minutes / cover position / reverse / interval setting.
5. Place dough into oil coated bowl, cover with the cling wrap and leave in a warm place to rise for 1hour. Dough should approximately double in size.
6. Punch down dough. Transfer to kitchen bench top. Divide dough into 9 balls. Place balls into greased baking tray.
7. Very loosely cover with the cling wrap and leave in a warm place to rise for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Buns are double the size.
8. Bake buns in a preheated oven 190°c (fan force 180°c) for 18 to 20 minutes.