Fragrance and flavour from orange attracts more people to this tasty treat. This lamington cake is easy to make. This treat is great to take for afternoon tea or your BBQ parties or families, friends gatherings.
Make one day ahead.
Preparation + cooking times 1 hour & 30 mins.
Serves 12 to 14.
250 g castor sugar
200 g unsalted butter, softened
3 free range or organic eggs (each weight with shell 60 – 65 g)
350 g self-raising flour
35 g dried desiccated coconut
zest from two orange
350 ml fresh orange juice
For chocolate Icing;
100 g castor sugar
125 g thickened (double) cream
15 g cocoa powder
75 g dried shredded or desiccated coconut (can use each equal parts)
1.Preheat oven to 180°c ( fan forced oven 170°c). Grease a 4 cm deep, 23 cm X 23 cm capacity cake tin. Line with baking paper. See hints & tips and picture below.
2. In a bowl mix the flour, coconut and orange zest together, set aside.
3. Using electric mixer, cream butter and sugar until colour is pale. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition until just combined. Add flour mixture and orange juice, gently fold in until just combined.
4. Pour mixture into prepared pan. Smooth the surface. Bake for 50 minutes to 55 minutes or a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean. Cool cake in a pan.
5. Remove cake from pan and trim edges if you wish. Place cake on the wire rack or on the board. See the below picture.
6.To make icing mixture; In a small saucepan using an egg balloon beater, mix icing sugar and cocoa powder then the cream. Cook and stir on medium to low heat 5 to 6 minutes until icing mixture is smooth and glossy. Remove from the heat.
7. Icing the cake; Spread chocolate icing on the cake and using a pastry brush along the side of the edges. Spread coconut over the top and sides pressing on to secure. Taking care transfer to a prepared plate or board, coconut icing side down (see the hints & tips). Spread the remaining chocolate icing mixture, then the coconut and gently press down to secure.
Hints & Tips;
How to turn cake over the plate;
Place plate or board over iced cake then using both hands, holding the base and top plate or board flip (turn) cake upside down.
This cake keeps stored in an airtight container for up to one week.
How to prepare cake (pan) tin.
Grease the side of the baking tin (it holds the baking paper properly) then line the sides of the cake tin (pan) with baking paper. This trick gives you a nice edge to the cake also is easier to remove the cake from the tin