A fabulously easy and delicious cake. You will be falling in love with this gluten free chocolate cake.
Preparation + cooking times 1hour & 20 mins + chilling.
200 g unsalted butter, cubed
200 g G/F dark chocolate, roughly chopped (Nestle brand)
100 g castor sugar
3 eggs (65-70 g) separated
2 tsp vanilla extract
100 g almond meal
For Chocolate Icing;
250 g dark or milk chocolate, chopped (Nestle brand)
150 ml double cream (heavy)
For Cream Cheese Icing;
250 g Philadelphia cream cheese, softened
700 g G/F icing sugar (CSR), sifted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract or orange blossom (optional)
pink food colouring (natural food extract)
1. Preheat the oven 180°c (fan-force 160°c). 5 cm high, 2 litre capacity heart shape cake tin to be lined with baking paper set aside. (see the Hint & Tips)
2. Put chocolate and butter in a small saucepan and melt the chocolate stirring over very low heat until smooth. Remove melted chocolate from the stove.
3. Using clean electric beaters and clean bowl, beat egg whites until firm peaks form. Set aside.
4. Using same electric beaters, beat the egg yolk, sugar and vanilla for 2-3 minutes, until pale and fluffy.
5. Add the melted chocolate mixture 1/3 of at a time, beating well between each addition until smooth and without streaks.
6. Fold almond meal into chocolate mixture then the 1/3 of egg whites at a time, folding each addition until finished.
7. Pour the batter into prepared cake tin and bake in the preheated oven for 30-35 minutes or a skewer inserted into centre comes out clean.
8. Meanwhile make the chocolate icing, place chocolate and cream into small saucepan and melt the chocolate stirring over very low heat until smooth and glossy.
9. Transfer the cake onto plate and pour the chocolate icing over the cooled cake, place cake in refrigerator until the icing sets (for 2 – 3 hours).
9. Beat the cream cheese with electric beater until smooth then gradually add icing sugar beating well.
10. Decorate the cake with icing to your desire.(Decorating a cake can be as simple as adding strawberries or flowers).
* Serve cake at room temperature.